2008年9月28日星期日

Consumed by Observations!

Well, I've been in China for alomst 4 months now. Ten weeks in Chengdu, and almost a month now in my new teaching job at Xi Nan Daxue (Southwest University) in Beibei, Chongqing. Being a Peace Corps volunteer in China has proven quite different from expected. Physically, the challenges China presents are quite manageable. You see, most of us volunteers were all prepared to live in horrible conditions for the next two years, and instead, are in decent appartments, with running water (which, of course, must be sanitized before consuming), electricity, and much more! China is not your "classic" peace corps experience.
However, mentally, China has proven to be quite a challenge. I intend to dedicate this blog to my philosophical observations of China, and myself as I attempt to dive into the abyss of many topics- philosophy of the Other, aesthetics, metaphysics, ontology, and of course, epistemology. I hope to start a philosophy club here with my English students, as I am told they only read Confucious and Marx, and a small amount of Plato. Critical abilities are severely lacking withing the walls of this vast country. Creativity is almost no where to be found. I firmly believe that a lack of curiosity within a person makes that person stagnant, and devoid of anything interesting. A lack of curiosity within an entire COUNTRY is a country full of zombies, chasing after nothing more than the flesh that will sustain their hunger (money), but never moving past a zombie existence.
We'll see...

Ok- stay tuned!

1 条评论:

匿名 说...

Sick! Kristen's blog! I love it! I'll definitely stay tuned. :p